Sunday, July 14, 2013

7105 Module 6 -Learning in a Digital World

You have had numerous educational experiences, both in an online and in a face-to-face learning environment. What impact do you believe technology has on the way you learn? In what ways do you learn differently in an online environment from the way you learned in a face-to-face learning environment? 
Reflecting on these questions, for your final Blog Post this quarter, write a 2-paragraph statement on your philosophy of learning. What do you believe is critical and non-negotiable in teaching and learning? Support your ideas using the learning and instructional theories you embrace as a part of your personal theory of learning.

 This maybe a little far fetched for some of you reading this, but let me explain why. I believe that an online learning environment allows a student to be more independent than a face-to-face classroom setting. I believe that face-to-face classes maybe some what of a crutch for some students, knowing that for 3 to five hours a week you have a physical being to guide you through your curriculum. Through my personal experiences, I feel as if I learn more in online classes than in face-to-face classes. It presents more of a search and see yourself or make the connections for yourself type of atmosphere.

In this day and age, I believe that it is critical for students to show a sense of independence in learning, which online learning does for them. This relates back to Siemen's theory of connectivism in the digital age. This is the digital age we are living in, and I believe we are doing our students a disservice if we are not using some type of digital tools or technology within our instruction. This should also apply to us, when we are in the place of our students.

Siemens, G. (2004). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved from http://elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

1 comment:

  1. Allison,

    I don't think it is far fetched at all...I would agree that in an online class like ours I get to customize the learning in ways that suits me and I don't have to compromise what I need/want with anyone else. In some classes I have also (with permission) been allowed to customize the assignments with enhancements that were a better fit with my applications and real world.
    ~CeCelia

    ReplyDelete